Looking for something different? Maybe a dessert to enjoy at home or to take to a dinner party? We got the perfect recipe for you. It’s easy, fresh and has a touch of flavours that can be very new to some people.
Try it out, and let us know what you think.
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup of Mamey (Delifdods recommended)
- ¼ large sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large whole eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- In a small pot add enough water to the sugar to make a wet sandy consistency. Place on stove top on high heat until caramelized to a light golden color. Carefully drop a few drops of water into the pot to stop the cooking. Immediately pour the caramel into the ramekins to cover the bottom.
- Combine the mamey, condensed milk, heavy cream, vanilla and bring to a boil. Separately whisk together the egg, yolk, and honey. Spoon a few tablespoons of the hot mamey mixture into the eggs to temper them. Whisk the remaining mamey into the tempered eggs.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Pour the mamey custard into the ramekins. Place the ramekins into an ovenproof casserole dish. Add hot water to the dish until the water level is half way up the ramekins. Place in the oven for about 1 hour, or until flan sets. Remove from the pan and let cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours until well chilled.
- Run the tip of a paring knife blade around the inside edge of the ramekin. Invert the ramekin over the serving dish. The flan will slip out of the mold and caramel liquid will flow on the plate. Garnish with fresh mint.
Easy as that. Enjoy!