Vicia faba, also known in the culinary sense as the broad bean, fava bean is a species of vetch, a flowering plant in the pea and bean family Fabaceae. It is widely cultivated as a crop for human consumption, and also as a cover crop.
Here is how you can make it into a delicious plate for the family.
2 lbs of Delifood’s fava beans
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced, to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- First, shell the beans from the Delifood’s fava beans bag.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil, then add salt, the amount depends on how much water you have, but it should be very salty, like seawater.
- In a bowl, combine ice and tap water to make ice water and let it set aside.
- Add the shelled beans to the boiling water and let cook for about 3 minutes, then remove from the saucepan and immediately plunge into the ice water to halt the cooking.
- Let the beans cool, then peel the outer skin from each of them.
- Over medium heat in a skillet, melt together the butter and olive oil, then add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the peeled Delifood’s fava beans and sauté for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until they are done to your preference.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper, serve, and enjoy!
You can enjoy your favorite dish with basically any other side dish, so let us know with what did you serve it.