Hogao, the best complement to fried plantains
What is your favorite sauce or side dish for your fried plantains? Whichever is your answer, here is a delicious recipe for you to enjoy our fried plantains.
Hogao is one of the most popular sauces in Colombian cuisine. Actually hogao is used for many typical Colombian dishes or simply as a sauce to be served with patacones, bananas and fried yuca or simply as a complement for arepas. It is also great because you can keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of long onion, chopped
- 2 cups of fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ of teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan
- Add the 2 cups of fresh tomatoes, the 1 cup of long onion, the garlic, the cumin and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes
- Make sure to stir until everything is soft
- Once it starts getting soft, add the salt
- Stir occasionally until the sauce has thickened
- Adjust seasoning
That is it, easy as that. Let us know your thoughts on our recipe in the comment box.